Formatting a new disk drive is sometimes necessary for the drive to work properly with OS X Macintosh computers. It is important to remember that FORMATTING A DRIVE WILL ERASE ANY AND ALL CONTENTS OF THE DRIVE and THIS IS IS NOT SOMETHING THAT YOU CANNOT UNDO.
- Connect the hard drive or USB key to the Mac
- Launch Disk Utility, located in Applications > Utilities
- Locate the drive name from the left-hand side of Disk Utility and click on it’s name to select the drive.
- Click on the “Erase” tab across the top
- Next to “Format:” click the contextual menu and select “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)”
- Name the drive if you want, the name can be changed at any point
- Click the “Erase” button and confirm again on the next pop-up window
That’s all there is to it, the drive will now format and erase everything on it and be ready for use.