INDEPENDENT LIVING RESOURCES
INFORMATION, REFERRAL AND CRISIS LINE – 211
Call 211 directly and follow their prompts to speak with someone 24/7 every day of the year. They provide crisis counseling (press 1) OR help you find community RESOURCES of all kinds (mental health services, legal aid, support groups, substance abuse services, recreation, transportation etc.) throughout the La Crosse and surrounding area.
ALTRA CREDIT UNION – Losey Blvd. So. & Ward Ave. FREE Checking.
COULEE BANK – 1516 Losey Blvd. So. Also Festival Foods on Copeland Ave. FREE Checking.
SOCIAL SECURITY CARD – Social Security Office 210 7th St. S. La Crosse. 866-770-2345, see www.ssa.gov for acceptable forms of ID (required). Current address is also needed. M-F 9-3pm, Weds 9-12:00
FREE TAX FILING- myfreetaxes.com or freetaxusa.com
Driver’s License or State ID – Dept. of Motor Vehicles 608 264-7447
If 18 or older you need to provide proof of residency.
9477 HWY 16 East, Onalaska, WI www.dot.wiscon.gov/drivers/online.htm
- Job Center of WI 2615 East Ave., S., La Crosse 608-789-5627
Or workforceconnections.org, jobcenterofwisconsin.com
- us, laborready.com, manpower.com, olsten.com, qpsemployment.com, remedystaff.com
- Readiness and training program – YWCA of the Coulee Region org
- Wi Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) for individuals with disabilities- 2615 East Ave., S., La Crosse 608-785-9500 wisconsin.gov
- Western Technical College- 400 7th N. La Crosse 608-785-9535
westerntc.edu (certificate and associate degree programs, financial aid)
- University of WI-La Crosse- 1725 State St., La Crosse 608-785-8000
Sponsors Self-Sufficiency Program uwlax.edu/self-sufficency-program
Viterbo University-900 Viterbo University Dr.608-796-3010 viterbo.edu
- Globe University- Onalaska globeuniversity.edu/wisconsin/la-crosse
- com – online search for area/pictures/price/contact#
- Housing Authority of the City of La Crosse (low income housing) 608-782-2264 org
- La Crosse County Housing Authority (low income housing)
- Tenant Resource Center of Wisconsin (information about your
rights and responsibilities as a renter) tenantresourcecenter.org
- Coulee Cap (homeless prevention programs, listings of low-income housing) 608-782-4877 org
HOUSEHOLD GOODS AND GENTLY USED CLOTHES (Thrift Stores)
- TLC CENTER 1232 Clinton Street, La Crosse 608-781-9111
- Good Steward Resale Shop- 2552 Rose St., La Crosse 608-779-9763
- Goodwill- 3954 Mormon Coulee Rd., La Crosse 608-783-1581
- Salvation Army Store- 728 Copeland Ave., La Crosse 608-784-1421
WESTERN REGION FOR ECONOMIC ASSISTANCE (food share, Medicaid, energy assistance, Badger Care). Can apply if 18 or older: go to the
La Crosse County Building at 300 4th St. N (4th and Vine) or apply online
CATHOLIC CHARITIES – 3710 East Ave., La Crosse 782-0710
Financial assistance in emergencies for security deposit, rent etc.
- Neighborhood Family Clinic- 1526 Rose St., La Crosse. 608-781-9880 com Low cost fees for a variety of medical needs. 7am-7pm M-F, 8-noon Saturdays
- Clare Health Mission- (IF NO INSURANCE and meets guidelines –call first) 916 Ferry Street, La Crosse, 608-392-9544 T, Th 5-7pm walk-in basis. Possible referral/payment for emergency dental care.
- Scenic Bluffs Community Health Center- 238 Front St. Cashton 608-654-5100 org
- WI Forward Health- Online listing of area dentists & specialists who accept Badgercare patients. wisconsin.gov/forwardhealth
- PRESCRIPTIONS- org, wisconsindrugcard.com, dhs.wisconsin.gov/guide/spec/freeprescr, La Crosse County Prescription Discount Card- 608-784-4357, Salvation Army 608-782-6126, Catholic Charities 608-782-0710
ACA AFFORDABLE CARE ACT – Federal Health Insurance healthcare.gov 1-800-318-2596
EMERGENCY FOOD RESOURCES
WAFER Food Pantry- 403 Causeway Blvd. La Crosse 608-782-6003 or 793-1002. M-F: 10am-12:45, M,T,Th: 4-7:45pm. Bring ID, Mail
with current residence, names and birthdates of household members.
Go north on 4th St/Copeland Ave past Festival Foods and take the 1st left onto Causeway Blvd, take right on Sumner St. and it will be on left.
CATHOLIC CHARITIES FOOD PANTRY- 413 3rd St.South, La Crosse.
608-782-0710 Mon: 8:30am-4pm, available on other days if emergency.
FROM THE HEART FOOD PANTRY- Trinity Lutheran Church
1010 Sill St. La Crosse 608-782-2526 (Faith United Church)
Last Sat of the month: 10am-1pm. Bring picture ID with address.
KANE STREET COMMUNITY GARDEN- 801 Kane ST., La Crosse
Warehouse: 403 Causeway Blvd., La Crosse
608-793-1002 or 608-386-3319 (Todd Huffman)
Distribution: Mon and Th: 3-6pm, Sat: 10am-1pm, (March 1-Oct.1)
PLACE OF GRACE- 919 Hood St., La Crosse 608-782-6224
T, W: 9am-2pm, Th: 2-7pm Last Sunday of month: 12:30-3:30
SALVATION ARMY FOOD PANTRY- 223 8th St. N., La Crosse
608-782-6126 M-F: 1-3pm Bring proof of residency and income.
- Salvation Army- 223 8th N., La Crosse 608-782-6126
- Catholic Charities- 413 3rd S., La Crosse 608-519-8060
Warming Center – Nov.1st– March 31st.
- New Horizons Shelter & Women’s Center for Domestic Violence