DistrictDistrict-Wide Parent Committee
The District-Wide Parent Committee is a group of representatives (up to 2 from each school in the District) that meets with the Superintendent, Associate Superintendent, and Directors on one Tuesday of each month (except June, July, and August) to:
- Provide a system that allows the concerns, questions, and opinions of parents to be brought directly to the Superintendent, Associate Superintendent, and Directors.
- Provide a system that allows the Superintendent, Associate Superintendent, and Directors with an opportunity to share plans, ideas, and concerns directly with parents. It also promotes a district-wide perspective regarding educational issues.
If you are interested in becoming a representative on the committee, please contact your PTO President or the Principal of the school you wish to represent.
Kelly Galvan, Executive Assistant
District-Wide Parent Committee Meetings
Meetings are held the 2nd Tuesday of each month from 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. and hosted by a school unless otherwise noted.
Guide to Effective Meetings
- Do seek to understand – and participate:
- Ask questions for clarification
- Listen to everyone’s point of view
- Offer your own point of view
- Propose new ideas/future agenda items
- Please remember that we are individuals with personal strengths. Feel free to:
- Compliment members on their contribution(s)
- Agree with others
- Politely disagree
- Feel free to raise concerns regarding District-wide issues
- Please refrain from addressing/raising concerns regarding building or classroom-specific issues
- Please use common courtesies (cell phone silent, no side conversations, allow everyone to be heard, etc.)
*If you will miss a meeting, please call the Superintendent’s Office in advance at 789-7628.*
We believe that quality communication is necessary for excellence in education to occur. In the interest of developing quality communication between the district administration and parents, a committee consisting of representatives from each school will be formed to meet with the Superintendent and Associate Superintendent on a regular basis.
To provide a system that allows the concerns, questions, and opinions of parents to be brought directly to the Superintendent and Associate Superintendent. Topics may include anything that is related to the District as a whole. No individual schools, staff or student discussion.
To provide a system that allows the Superintendent and Associate Superintendent with an opportunity to share plans, ideas, and concerns directly with parents.
To promote a district-wide perspective regarding educational issues.
During the month of May, two (2) parent delegates will be selected by the principal or the parent organization of each charter, elementary, middle, and high school in the district to serve during the following year. Two (2) at-large parent delegates may be appointed by the Superintendent’s office. One (1) LEA delegate may be chosen by the LEA President.
The representatives of the various schools will meet monthly (except during June, July and August) throughout the year with the superintendent and/or associate superintendent. However, additional meetings may be scheduled, if warranted.
Meetings will be held at 7:00 p.m. on the second Tuesday of the month unless necessary to schedule otherwise. The meetings may be held at the Hogan Administrative Center, various school buildings or virtually decided by the Superintendent.
At the September meeting of each year, officers will be elected by majority vote. Officers will include: chairperson, vice chairperson, and secretary. When any voting occurs, a majority of the schools must be represented. Each school and
at-large delegate will have one vote. In the event of two or more nominees for one office, a written ballot will be taken with one vote for each school and
Agendas will be posted by the Superintendent’s office. Agenda items may be suggested, in advance, by any committee member. These items should be brought to the attention of the Superintendent or the chairperson at least one (1) week prior to the meeting. However, each meeting agenda shall include a time for items to be brought directly for discussion. The critical criteria for determining the appropriateness of such items will be the degree to which the item has district-wide implications. Discussions regarding the evaluation of various district employees shall not be allowed.