DepartmentBuildings & Grounds
Welcome to the Buildings and Grounds web page. Our department is committed to providing a safe, caring, and well-maintained environment for students, staff, and the community.
The School District of La Crosse believes that its buildings should be open to the community as much as practical provided that such use does not interfere with school programs. Given school funding constraints, the District can not offer that opportunity at the cost of regular educational programming and therefore finds it necessary to charge a fee for the use of school buildings and facilities by organizations not directly associated with the schools. These fees will be used to defray a portion of the expense caused by increased use of utilities and staff services.
If you have any questions or concerns not addressed on our web page, please feel free to contact us
Supervisor of Buildings & Grounds
Responsible for maintenance, custodial personnel, recruitment, evaluation, training programs, capital improvement and referendum projects, and department budgeting and operation.
Buildings & Grounds Manager
Responsible for personnel scheduling, development, equipment maintenance/repair, capital improvement projects supervision, department purchasing, environmental and occupational safety, and workers compensation.
Energy & Transportation Manager
Responsible for managing energy reduction and education program, and environmental stewardship program. Oversees all district student transportation.
Capital Maintenance and Improvements
- Provide a plan for maintenance, repair, renovation or replacement of buildings and grounds to maintain an optimal learning environment.
- Minimize facility deterioration; avoid deferred maintenance to prevent excessive funding needs for future remedial work.
- Annually audit district facilities conditions including physical adequacy of construction, materials and fixed equipment, and instructional functional performance.
- Plan short term capital maintenance and improvements.
- Plan long term capital maintenance/renovations.
Each year the Buildings and Grounds Supervisor meets with building principals, instructional, and business supervisors to develop a plan for current and future capital maintenance and improvements projects.
Decision Making Criteria
- Safety/Security/Regulatory Compliance
- Provide for Necessary and Ongoing Maintenance
- Improve/Maintain Learning Environment
- Consider Priorities Provided by Individual Building Teams
- Consider Operating Costs
- Consider Level of Community Support
Date Built: 1953
Date of Addition(s): 1955, 1962, 1973, 1992, 1994
Overall Site Size: 7.9 Acres
Building Size: 60,190 sq. ft.
Parking Lot Capacity: 72 regular, 4 handicap, 2 visitor