School District of La Crosse Board of Education Fund 80/School Resource Officer (SRO) Program Review Charge
Whereas the School District of La Crosse has a Memorandum of Agreement (MOU) with the La Crosse Police Department that is scheduled to terminate in June 2021; Whereas the Fund 80 Ad Hoc Committee has compiled questions from School Board Members about Fund 80 and the SRO Program in particular; Whereas the Fund 80 Ad Hoc Committee has compiled a list of stakeholders that School Board Members identified as important to include in an SRO Program Review; The Board of Education charges Dr. Aaron Engel, Superintendent of the School District of La Crosse, to complete a review of the SRO program that will provide answers to the questions identified by School Board Members so we can make an informed decision about whether to continue, modify, or terminate the SRO program when the current MOA ends in June 2021.
1. The Superintendent may provide additional information to the School Board that goes beyond the questions identified by School Board Members if they deem it is important for the School Board to consider in their deliberations about the SRO program.
2. The Superintendent shall do their due diligence to include the perspectives of stakeholders identified by the School Board, but is not limited to the School Board’s list of stakeholders either.
3. The Superintendent shall provide multiple ways for stakeholders to provide feedback to the School Board regarding the SRO program.
4. To ensure transparency, the Superintendent shall create no later than September 1, 2020, an online repository of the written feedback provided to the School Board regarding the SRO program that is accessible to the public from the School District of La Crosse website.
5. The Superintendent shall conclude the program review and data gathering process, and provide a recommendation to the School Board regarding the SRO program no later than November 16, 2020, so that should the School Board vote to modify or terminate the SRO program when the MOU ends, there is ample time to transition and provide schools with the required supports.
6. The Superintendent may ask the School Board for an extension of this deadline if they deem it is necessary.
7. The Superintendent shall provide the School Board updates on the status of the review process at regularly scheduled School Board Meetings until the process is complete and findings and recommendations have been submitted to the School Board.